Host an Event
Unfortunately the Covid-19 pandemic has meant the cancellation of our major World Cassowary Day events, but that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate this important day!
There are a bunch of different people spending time in nature or looking after nature –
a great way to take a moment and give back to nature.
If you are in Far North Queensland...
C4 is getting together to plan a Nature Playground - see the Facebook page.
The Great Northern Clean up is on and you can join on Sunday - see their Facebook page.
If you are not in Far North Queensland...
You can still check out the resources and ideas we've put together in past years to help you participate in World Cassowary Day wherever you are.
Please do still follow us on Facebook, we would love to see how you celebrate World Cassowary Day this year.
Past Events - 2018
- Sun, 30 SeptSt andrews college redlynchBring sun smart gear,gloves,covered shoes & water. Supplied morning tea at 9am. Directions:Turn left at the lights opposite Coles at Redlynch Central shopping centre then turn left and park in the school carpark. Follow the signs/power lines into site. Phone 0435 016 906 if lost.
- Sat, 29 SeptKuranda Conservation Community NurseryKuranda Conservation are inviting applications to attend an open day at Bunda Bundarra. Private property - invitation only - numbers strictly limited. If selected, you will enjoy a picnic morning tea and walk through the property with a chance to get up close to a Cassowary.
- Thu, 27 Sept27-29 Greenslopes StHosted by CAFNEC who will be running their usual monthly Green Drinks event with a World Cassowary Day twist: free yummy food, drinks by donation, tunes, interesting folk and a #cassowarypoo themed photo exhibition!
- Wed, 26 Sept44 Cape Tribulation RdCome and join Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat in the Daintree to celebrate World Cassowary Day by taking part in their quiz trail. They have come up with 10 questions and hidden the answers somewhere on their walks. All you have to do is come to Lync-Haven on the 26th and get a question sheet.
- Wed, 26 Sept2 Stitt StTake part in active conservation for Cassowaries with a day down on the Cassowary Coast, working and learning with local Landcare groups about conservation efforts including information talks by Guest Speakers, tour of the local Landcare Nursery, and propagating trees for Cassowary food & habitat
- Tue, 25 SeptOnline event: Buy a calendar to support#LoveCassowaries! A World Cassowary Day fundraiser event 100% of proceeds from the Mission Beach - naturally calendar will go toward the 2019 Mission Beach Community Cassowary Festival 2019. BUY ONLINE NOW www.missionbeachcassowaries.com
- Tue, 25 SeptThis event is an ongoing online resource!Terrain asked CSIRO’s Dr David Westcott to highlight cutting-edge threatened species science in the Wet Tropics region. Check out his recommendations. Also, find out what scientists and others are saying about “Australia’s faunal extinction crisis” and much more!
- Sun, 16 SeptLower Freshwater RoadTreeforce is a not-for-profit community tree planting group in Cairns who have been planting up riparian rainforest for over 25 years! They are organising a clean up of one of their planting sites on the beautiful Freshwater Creek on September 16.